Over the next five weeks I will be blogging about how we stayed in business for 25 years. Each week will have five brief hints about how we did it –for a total of 25 hints for 25 years!
16. The customer is always right. Read again if you disagree. Sometimes however, you may have a customer who is not a good fit for your business. Have the courage to part ways, but be sure to do it professionally.
17. Extend praise and thanks. It is in all of our natures to want to feel good about ourselves. When someone does a good job, tell him or her. And don’t be afraid to tell them in front of others.
18. Act as role model. Set a good example as to what you expect from others. Timeliness, frankness, dress, consideration and kindness are attributes that can rub off on others.
19. Cheer. There is no better cheerleader in your organization than you. It has taken you great energy and expense to gather the team – now cheer for them.
20. Use common sense. Some decisions are extremely hard to make, but most come down to common business sense. Often, the answer lies in the question: “How will my decision affect the company a year from now?”